Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fixed intermittent Internet on Beagleboard

So I've been suffering from a problem of intermittent Internet on the Beagleboard. It worked twice in it's history - just long enough to install LXDE and a VNC server for it (fyi, I'm hating the LXDE, at least for his application), and SSH so I can remote in easier. The problem was that Internet otherwise refused to work.

The problem, it turns out, stemmed completely from something I did when setting up the SSH. One of the steps I garnered from some directions (and almost made it in the upcoming Beagleboard walkthrough) was to add this command to a startup script, enabling SSH on boot up.

route add gw default 10.10.10.10

This made my computer the default route gateway for connections, which in theory would allow the ssh to work. Well it turns out the ssh works without that line, and that the line was telling Linux that Internet connections go through the usb0, which is not how it works.

Currently I am looking into brctl (bridge-utils) in order to give the beagleboard internet via my Laptop's wifi (thus being able to bride it online anywhere my laptop goes), but it seems that wifi makes it a pain in the butt to do. Something to add to the to-do list I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment